Welcome back, today let's talk about Pauper and the new Set Dominaria that will engrave the format and all Magic.
We talk about a card in particular: Navigator's Compass and its possible application in Pauper.
Focus on the card in Affinity
Navigator's compass wants to enter in Pauper Affinity, a deck with super armoured slots. The question is: "What can we remove?".
Vs Springleaf Drum: the drum is an Affinity's staple because is a "drop 1" that permit to recover the mana invested TAPping a creature even if it is not rapid (because is the drum's cost). You must consider that the drum also gives a mana of anything colour you want, so it can't be removed from the deck.
Vs Chromatic Star: the star is a strange card in Affinity, strong with Atog e it cycles for the mana (from the first creature with Affinity that we cast) and for cards. On the other hand, it is a bit ugly fixer because it is one shot. Maybe…
Vs Prophetic Prism: Prism is a card always played in Affinity because it draws and it fixs perfectòy the mana, but I never liked its two mana cost. It means that we can retrieve it only if we cast two creatures with Affinity and it impedes us to play strong cards in turn 2 when we are in colour screw (classic mana with Carapace Forger but with UR lands). I would replace the 4 Prisms on my list with 4 Navigator's compass.
The Comparison Prism Vs Compass
1. Draw vs Gain 3 hp: Prism is better in late game because the hp could be useless whereas a card could save the game. Navigator's Compass gains 3 life and it is not bad (we save a chump block) and it helps a bit in the matchup against Burn.
2. Cost 2 vs Cost 1: Here there is the big difference! Prism the weakest card in the deck, for recovering the 2 mana invested we must play two spells with Affinity. It doesn't fix the mana if we cast it in the second turn and we can't stay with a land and Prism as fixers. Navigator's Compass has an easier return on mana's investment. You can think to stay with an initial hand with one land because 3 hp are relevant in the early game and in late is the same of a Prophetic Prism.
Examples of Initial Hands
Every Hand with Prism is or slower or is a mulligan, so the Compass transforms the mulligan in a slow hand and make faster the others.
I don't know if this new card will engrave Affinity, but these are my positive considerations about it, I will surely test it.
What do you think about it?
Latest posts by Magnamon88 (see all)
- Eternal Card Game – Defiance: tutte le novità del nuovo Set - 20/12/2018
- Magic Tribes, ep. 8 – Consiglieri, le menti dei governi - 15/12/2018
- Perché ho smesso di giocare al Magic cartaceo - 14/12/2018